CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Still No Therapy and No Pediasure

I am so frustrated and feel very sad today. I think part of it may be PMS but who really knows since I don't track my cycle. I am also feeling very sad after about a girl named Karla. She was 15 years old when she found out she had an inoperable brain tumor. She died about 3 months after finding out. Her and her parents started the Let it Be Foundation. What an inspirational little girl she was!!!! She attended the high school that my little sister does.

Anyway, still no therapy. As far as the therapy through EI I have come to realize this is not going to be a very helpful therapy for Mia. It wasn't the greatest quality in Hawaii and here it doesn't appear to be any better. I haven't even had a return call to set up the in home evaluation. I have some colorful 4 letter words to say about this!

For private therapy I have the ball rolling. I was not finding any places local that did pediatric therapies and if they did they didn't accept our insurance. I called my insurance and first spoke to a rude little snot who was less than helpful, but after calling back I spoke to a wonderful girl who gave me all the information I needed to know. I want Mia to be seen at Children's Hospital in San Diego once we move there. I want to start her with the devel. ped and ped. neurology right away. For her therapies though that is too far to drive (as I want her in lots of therapy and the drive is close to 1.5-2 hours) so I am looking for some close to home. Good news is, most likely I will be able to have Mia seen full time once we get to SD at Childrens. I would feel so much better if she had civilian doctors verses military. Not that I don't think the military dr. are good, they often tiimes are very young and still learning. Anyway, when I spoke to the helpful c/s rep she informed me to just go to Mia's ped and request the therapies that I want and the ped will put in the request. She said she also didn't see any that were on our insurance plan, but they would refer me to places that do pediatric therapy and the insurance would still cover 100%. That was a huge relief.

We went and met with Mia's new ped on Friday. Once the referals go though I am changing. I didn't like the place or the ped. The girl in the office wanted Mia to stand to be weighed. I explained to her that she can't stand. She then asked how old she was. I said almost 20 months. She said, so almost 2 right? I said well if you want to say almost 2 you can but she is closer to 1 and a 1/2. It was like well, if she is close to 2 she should be able to stand on the scale. It was stupid. Then Mia freaked on the non-digital POS scale they had so they never even got an accurate weight. She then asked me to get on the scale with her. Well, I shut that down right away.

Mia also gets Pediasure through Apria Health Care. With her Hawaii doctors rx she should be able to get 1 month supply here in CA. I've called everyday since last Monday and everyday they say they will call me back and everyday they don't call me back. Mia doesn't really eat enough to gain weight so the Pediasure helps get her the calories, protein, etc. I of course went to the store and bought several bottles of Pediasure, but it shouldn't take this long for her to get her supply. We will see what happens today! I wish this transition was smoother. I guess if Mia wasn't needing all of this extra help it would have been. I shouldn't complain. At least we are here safe and sound.

On a side note about me. I need to lose weight (duh---that's why I wouldn't step on the scale). Anyway, I lost a lot of weight last summer only to gain it back plus 5. Last week I started running. I love to run and I used to play soccer (lots of running). It is so hard when you first start to run but once you get into shape running is so much fun. Right now me and my sis go to the track and run and then do the stairs. I want to be able to run 5-6 miles 5 times a week with Mia. I don't have a jogging stroller right now, but once I get into better shape I will invest in one. I had not ran in about 10 years (since high school soccer). Here and there I would run once or twice and I wanted to die so I gave up. I don't want to be the fat out of shape mom. Plus, I was skinny my entire life, but over the past 7 years I have gained a little more and a little more. I would blog more about my need to lose weight, but it is actaully very embarassing to me.

2 comments:

Popcorn House said...

I know moving is tough even with the best situation. Hugs to you. Keep us updated on everything. I would love a blog workout/diet buddy!!!

Kathy said...

Thank you for sharing. I will have you in my thoughts and prayers.

Kathy
Please Support Pediatric Brain Tumor Research
http://brownbagforacure.org