CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Monday, June 2, 2008

One Hand Closer to Independent Walking...

I haven't had a chance to post lately. Today I was going to skip it again, but I decided to stay up a little later to post. Let's see, where have we been...

Thursday I met with the therapist for the first time. I don't have a lot to compare her to, but I liked her and felt comfortable talking to her. I cried a lot (which I expected) but I also said a lot. It was so nice to just tell someone every little *secret* you have. She will try and get to the bottom of why I won't open up to friends/family. I mentioned it to her and I told her reasons why I might be that way but said I really wasn't sure. I dropped a bomb on her towards the end of the session (not on purpose) but she was totally not expecting that to come out of my mouth. I could tell by her facial expressions and then she used the work *prick*, which made me laugh. She was going to meet with me again this week but she only had one day open and it conflicted with Mia's therapy. I go back next week. I can't wait. Though it felt good getting so much off my chest I still have so many things that I have kept in for so long that I am dying to get out. I felt a little uneasy afterwards the more I thought about things that I said/didn't say. I knew I couldn't possibly go through every single issue I have with her in 45 minutes, but it was almost like your favorite TV show that you are all into and then it says "...To Be Continued" you feel like OH MAN and then the anticipation grows. All and all though I am very glad I met with her. She said that I haven't been able to fully grieve about all of my hopes, dreams and expectations that were changed during my labor with Mia. So we will work on that too.

Friday, hmm, what was Friday? I must say it was boring, I can't even think of anything we did.

Saturday...Mia had PT and it went so great! I was worried since her OT appointment on Wednesday was bad. She likes the PT much better, she is more experienced and has great interation with Mia. She asked me how much walking Mia does throughout the day. I told her 50 percent or more per day. I have to let her walk (holding my hands of course) everywhere we go. She flips out otherwise. She was having her do exercises on the stairs and then she said she wanted to see how Mia did with a walker. I have to say I have wondered for a while why Mia hasn't been given a walker, but at the same time I didn't push the issue for obvious reasons. So she takes Mia by the hand (yes, hand as is JUST ONE HAND) and walks her to the closet to get the walker. Mia walked so good. I commented that Mia has never walked that well holding just one hand. She gets the walker and says she wants to see how Mia does in the walker and how long she can handle it. Well, that little girl took off and walked and walked and walked and walked and finally the session was over and we had to peel her off of the walker. She walked for 20 minutes straight, through the halls of the hospital, outside, on a slant and only fell one time! She was so happy and smiled and giggled the entire time. It was so amazing to see her on it, she knew exactly what to do with it. Of course as much as I felt so happy seeing her so happy and proud I will say that it broke my heart. People would stop and look, turn and look and whisper something. I know that they don't mean anything by it and that it isn't everyday that you see a little 3 foot tall kid cruising around with a walker, but it still hurt my heart. I am just so thankful that Mia is too little to know or care when they stop and look. She actually has a look on her face like everyone must think she is just the coolest!! I know that walker is supposed to be temporary and is a good thing. The PT says it speeds up the independent walking and most kids only use them for a few months. I am not going to get too excited about that yet though, I was told the same thing about the SMO's and she isn't walking yet. Realistically I knew that Mia wouldn't get the SMO's and be walking in a month, but at the sametime the unrealistic side of me hoped for that. I felt pretty down after the appointment. I called Mike (husband for anyone who forgot/cares) and he listened and made me feel a little better. I took Mia outside to play and guess what? She walked many times (about 15 minutes)though the backyard being held by one hand! She was so proud and laughed the entire time!!! I am so proud of her. She knows (since she is the ALL KNOWING ONE) that my heart broke to see her with the walker so she is going to try her hardest to walk before her walker arrives!!! Ok, I know that is getting a little carried away...it's late.

Sunday...5:30 AM wake up to the lovely sound of puking! Poor Mia has the flu bug. I had to wash all of her bedding, it was in her hair, on her stuffed dog, it was so gross. After the morning puke she finally went back to sleep and just had yucky poo all day but at the end of the night she puked again...this time in the toilet!! She had more yucky poo which gives her horrible diaper rash and she hasn't eaten much over the last two days.

Today she seemed good enough to go to her My Gym class for the first structured class. It went well, she cried at first when they were singing, but she is a little *drama* sometimes. I liked the flow of things at My Gym, it is a lot better than Gymboree Play and Music. I am so thrilled to say this My Gym is starting up a SPECIAL NEEDS CLASS!!! I am so excited. I can't wait. Mia will still go to the waddlers class each week, but during June, July and August she gets two classes a week for the price of one! So she will get to be around typical kids and other super kids that are special like her! I am so excited, I haven't had the chance to meet (in person) any other SN parents or kids. I just can't wait!!!!

Wow!!! If you read this entire post you probably want to go and take a nap. That was a lot of boring writing I just did...

4 comments:

* ~ *Jessica* ~ * said...

I'm glad you got to see a therapist. I schedule the appts & cancel them the day off. I can't seem to make myself go. I use every excuse in the book. So, I am proud of you for sticking with it!!!! Good job :)

Popcorn House said...

I agree with Jessica, that is wonderful that you are going to a therapist.

Also GREAT job Mia on walking! She is doing such great things!!!

Barbara said...

I'm glad things went well with the therapist. I'm sure this will help a lot - you have a lot on your plate.

That's wonderful that Mia is walking. I really love reading about these events because they mean so much!

Kiera said...

I am glad to hear that things went well with the therapist. I am glad that you were able to open up.

As for Mia - what exciting news about the walking with one hand!! I would LOVE to see video of it (or a picture!) She is adorable!

I know what you mean about the walker and your heart hurting for your little one. I feel the same way with the cast. People look at us like we either 1) are horrible parents for allowing a 1 year old to break an arm or 2) give him the "ohhhh poor baby." Like Mia he loves the attention, so he does not mind.

That is great news about the SN class at MyGym. Keep us posted!