CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Thursday, June 12, 2008

More Evidence of How Blessed We Are...

Since the day that Mia was born I knew that God had a plan for her. Of course her birth was very traumatic and not the way that I prayed for it to be. I knew that God was taking care of her. I knew that He had a plan for her. If He wanted to take her away from us right at birth He could have, but He didn't. A matter of seconds could have changed Mia's story, though her birth was traumatic giving birth to a still born would be tragic. I am so thankful that the Lord allowed Mia the opportunity to live life. I am so thankful that I get to be Mia's mom. Being a mom to a special needs child isn't easy by any means but He thought that I was right for the job! What a huge compliment.
Everyday I know that we are very blessed and so many prayers have been answered for Mia. I know that things could be so different. To see Mia alive and active and to think back at her birth and read the birth records you wouldn't think this is the same kid. Yes, she is globally delayed. Yes, she is approaching 2 years old and has yet to speak and doesn't walk. Yes, the thought of her having to use a walker breaks my heart. I cry a lot. I often feel robbed, then comes the feeling of guilt because she can do so much and I know a lot of other children have more delays than her. I pray that Mia will catch up someday and I am thankful for all of the prayers that have been answered for Mia.
Mia had an OT eval today. I am telling you it is so wonderful to meet with excellent therapists! The OT today was GREAT. Again, like the PT the other day I really liked her, she is very nice. She was so compassionate when I told her Mia's birth story. Yes, I have had to replay her birth so many times lately. Today when I was telling the story I did have to fight back tears but it was also a huge reminder of how far she has come. Of course I want her to develop and achieve milestones like every other child, but the fact of the matter is, she isn't going to. This doesn't mean that the milestones won't be achieved and it doesn't mean when they are achieved that it won't mean as much because it is *late*. In fact it will probably mean even more to me since I know how hard things are for her. She is the sweetest girl and I love her so much!
The OT had so many good things to say about Mia and her abilities. She is also very excited to work with Mia because she said she is much higher functioning than all of the other children she works with. She said she is going to *push* Mia. She also said Mia will be one of those kids that has all of these delays and basically catches up all at once. I know she can't see the future, but this is very promising. It is so nice to have someone give you positive feedback. As far as Mia not stacking blocks and doing things like that she said those skills should be emerging soon and she also said because Mia is so smart that it is all about motivating her to do this stuff. I told her that I wasn't too sure about the infant development teacher, I feel like she doesn't control the session she allows Mia to. Mia and her don't play with the toys because Mia doesn't want to so she doesn't make her. I want her to help Mia not just be a playmate. The OT said that the infant devel should be working on most of the same things that OT is working on. She said most parents complain about the teachers and the lack of controlling the sessions and lack of children achieving their goals. She is going to try and come at the same time as the teacher and give her some suggestions on what she should be doing to help Mia progress.
Today was a good day. Thank you God for answering so many prayers for Mia and helping her get stronger and do more every single day!

0 comments: