CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Sunday, May 4, 2008

Being Over Sensative

UGH! Last night I went with Mia, my parents and sister to my dad's friends house. It was a surprise birthday party. I didn't know anyone there and nobody knew me, but one lady and her husband knew me from when I was little, but I didn't remember them. Anyway obviously these people don't know Mia and her delays etc. She was really shy at first and stuck to me like glue. Once she was comfortable she was being her usual self. Then the questions & comments came. I know that these people were not being mean at all, but I am over sensative. First, does she walk?...NO. Later it was:How old is she?...20 months, followed by: Oh let's see, that means in the next 6 months she will be speaking in full sentences. ME: Laugh, yeah I hope so. (right). Later Mia was sitting on a chair finger feeding herself some pasta and it was: Wow, look how slow she moves. Does she always move that slow? That one hurt badly, she is very slow in her movements, but it's hard when someone (a stranger) that only saw her for an hour noticed it. My dad just piped up: She's cautious. I later told my mom that was hard to hear but I knew it wasn't said to be hurtful, just an observation. The last one was directed to my mom: Did you get to see her be born? My mom just said, no I came the next day. Which is true and that was planned even before Mia's birth was so traumatic. It hurt because no one got to see her be born, I was put to sleep, my husband was left in the dark (left in the hallway not being told anything) and then she was practically dead when she was born (not breathing, totally limp). I know this because Mike walked to the OR and was outside the window and saw her right after they pulled her out! It was very painful for him to see and that vision still pops into his head at times and is hard on him still.

I know that this is just something that I am going to have to deal with. The older she gets and the further behind she becomes the more obvious it is going to be. I have to be strong and not show that I am bothered by it, I would never want Mia to feel bad about it.

2 comments:

Popcorn House said...

Hugs hun! You are doing such a great job for Mia is so lucky to have you for her mom. I love reading your blog.

Kiera said...

Tara - I am thinking of you. I also get the question "He's not walking yet?" It is hard because people think they are making conversation and do not realize what a Pandora's box they are opening up. Mia is lucky to have you