CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Thursday, May 22, 2008

Say That...

Oops I got a little carried away in my previous post. I forgot to blog about what I originally came on here for. Mia had her OT appointment yesterday. It went well, she worked really hard and was exhausted afterwards. I really like the OT. My mom doesn't, but she doens't like anyone who has anything *negative* to say about Mia. She loved the PT the day before because she basically only had positive things to say. I guard myself against being like her and being a deffensive mom. I've been through a lot with Mia, I don't want people to sugar coat things, tell me like it is, tell me what we can do to fix/help it and move on. The OT gave Mia some good homework though and it's going good so far. Things are falling into place now if she can start speech therapy I would be a happier mama!

Mia had her teacher come to the house to play on Tuesday. To be honest, it's a little weird. I have to give it time since Mia didn't have a teacher in Hawaii, this wasn't offered. She basically sat there and watched Mia play and I sat there and watched Mia play. She did guide her a few times, but that Mia, boy she is so stubborn. The teacher was showing Mia how to pound a hammer and Mia was more interested in taking all of the toys out of the suitcase. Mia loves to sit in suitcases...weird I know! I was surprised that she wasn't sitting in the suitcase and actually kind of playing with the toys. She was taking out a lot of toys, little by little and pretending to want to play with them. The teacher shows Mia how to pound the toy with the hammer and gives Mia the hammer to do it. Mia doesn't want to do it (surprise!) because she is busy trying to take the toys out of the suitcase. The teacher again encourages her to try, so what does Mia do? She continues to take the toys out of the suitcase with one hand and takes the hammer with the other hand and without taking her eye off the suitcase she starts to pound the toy that the teacher is holding! How she managed to pound all of the worms through without looking is amazing! I couldn't help but laugh! That's Mia for you!! Eventually before the session was over Mia was in the suitcase and a happy camper!! Mia doens't play with toys the right way, you know, stack blocks, put the rings on, etc so I asked the teacher how to get her to go it. I mean, I have tried the obvious and we've worked on it for months and months and she still won't do it. She didn't really give me any advice, she said that is why she is there to work on that. Dumb, like one hour a week is going to help, I need to know too!!

Mia is trying so hard to stand up! She started in her little pool the other day. She would push herself up off the bottom of the pool and try and stand, she would fall, but she tried. Now she is trying so hard in the house to do it. She is getting close. It is so cute to see!! She will also test her balance and is getting to about 2-3 seconds before fallling. She is figuring out how to maintain balance, she just hasn't put it all together yet!!

Oh yeah and I think Mia is using a word!! She has been babbling so much lately and repeating the same babbles and actions. She points to things and it sounds like she is saying "THAT"!! Oh I keep praying that she will learn to use her words soon!

3 comments:

Popcorn House said...

YEAH on all of that. She is doing so good. All of my kids said a form of that. For "what's that?". Point "that?" then they want you to tell them what it is. GO MIA! Take a video or picture of her standing. I haven't seen a picture in awhile! I love to see that beautiful gilr.

Kiera said...

That is so funny about the suitcase and the hammer! I am very impressed that she could do that without looking!

I would love to see pictures of her standing. It sounds like she is doing some amazing things.

Once again - congrats on getting all of this therapy worked out. i am so glad it is happening for you!

Barbara said...

I'm so glad you've got therapy going. I'm sure you'll start seeing some great progress soon. However, I'm sure Mia will do things her own way in her own time - just like with the hammer!