CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Glad the MRI is over...

Wow! What a day! So glad that I will be crawling into bed soon. My head is killing me. I suffer from chronic migraines and EVERYTHING triggers them. Sleep (too much & too little), food (certain kinds, going too long w/out) the weather (when the barometric pressure changes, like before it rains) and STRESS (believe it or not, ha ha)! 


I wake up and get myself all ready for the MRI. I have to force DH out of bed because suddenly he cannot get out of bed when normally at that hour he would already be at work. I read my note and oh no! I have to wake Mia up NOW or else she won't even get something to drink before we leave. I run her down stairs and try and get her to drink Pedialyte and warm liquid jello. She sipped but not too much. I run upstairs and put on her clothes and out the door. We were supposed to be the the hospital admissions office by 8:30, we're early it's only 8:15! We get all checked in and then I ran to the pharmacy to pick up vitamins. We head up the the ped sedation clinic where the frustrations begin! We tell them why we are there and who we are. They say "Oh you're early, but that's ok, better to be early." I said, no we were told to be here at 8:30 for a 10AM MRI. He argues that the MRI is at 11. I ask politely if he is sure he says yes. I still don't believe him, but at this point I give up. I mean I can argue until my a$$ falls off but it's not going to get me anywhere. We head to the playroom/waiting room where the waiting begins. A day of sitting and waiting. At one point I thought to myself, lets just forget it and go home. Mia is so tired and hungry, but being the good little trooper that she is she just goes along with it. Finally at 11:45 they call us in for vitals, almost 2 hours past the scheduled MRI time. We head down to the MRI room where I am feeling very nervous. We met the anesthesiologist and I really liked him so I felt a lot better. They drugged my poor baby so much though. It started with a shot to the arm to 'relax' her, which she cried and cried. The girl became more alert and held her body with more control than ever! A few minutes later in kicked in and you could tell that she knew something weird was going on with her body. I laid her on the bed and we went into the waiting room. 

Oh my goodness, no one could have prepared me for seeing Mia in that condition. When she had the MRI done at 9 days old she was barely sedated and was pretty much awake when we headed back to the NICU. Well, today was so different. She looked so precious just laying there, but she looked like she was in a coma. When they wheeled her through the waiting room I heard 'wow that baby is out' and I was thinking yes she is. I was told by some people that they don't put them under. Well, heck, if that isn't under then what the heck is it?! She didn't wake up for an hour! DH and I didn't say this to each other until after, but we were both scared and thought she wasn't going to wake up. The nurse kept saying she was fine and she would wake soon, we've been lied to like that before so of course we didn't believe her. When I was prego with her and was in the ER they couldn't detect the HB (I was about 2-3 mos along) and they said oh no worries, but next thing you know the head dr. is rushing in with the portable ultrasound machine. 

It was a longer than long day. We finally left the hospital at 4, almost 8 hours later. Oh and the idiot that told me my appointment was at 11 apologized and said he made a mistake we were supposed to go at 10, uh, yea I told you! Thanks alot!

We just have to wait until Friday for the results. I am trying to not think about it. The hardest part is, I have the MRI here at home with me and I am so tempted to look, but why? I picked up a copy of all of Mia's images (2 MRI's, 2 chest X-rays and 1 CT scans). A part of me wants to look, but I am too tired and I don't know what I am looking at. I can compare this new one to the old one, but I think I am better off waiting until I meet with the neuro!

7 comments:

Dawn said...

Certainly a rough day. I know you'll be glad when this week is over. Mia is such a little trooper!

Popcorn House said...

Glad the MRI is over. She is a trooper!!! I will keep thinking about you this week, and can't wait to read your blog about Friday's apt.

We too both said that we were worried he wouldn't wake up. The medicine they gave Sammy was through and IV and he acted drunk but wouldn't fall asleep. They had to call for more drugs to give him, which freaked me out. I finally turned the lights off and just sat and rocked him and he gave it up before they got the other meds.

What is amazing to me, is how well you and Keira (and other FTMs)handle all of this. It is hard no matter what # of kid it is, but I think a bit harder on you FTMs. You are doing so good!!!

Thanks for your comments on my blog too, I really relate to your blog and comments!!! Wish we lived by each other!!!

Kiera said...

Tara - my thoughts are with you. The MRI is so hard! I just wanted to let you know that my thoughts and prayers are with you tonight as you prepare for the appointment tomorrow. We are all here for you.

Dawn said...

Just curious how yesterday went. I hope you can get in and update soon. :)

Popcorn House said...

Just thinking about you and checking in on you. Let us know how you are doing!

* ~ *Jessica* ~ * said...

I agree. MRI's suck! Time for an update :) It's been a few days.... You aren't off he hook girly!

* ~ *Jessica* ~ * said...

Hey... I harrassed you yesterday about updating this thing?! Whats up girly? Get on it! :P