CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Monday, March 17, 2008

"Lifeless" She's come so far...

In preparation for our move I picked up all of my medical records from my pregnancy as well as all of Mia's medical records from birth to present. Mia spent her first month of life in the NICU. I was discharged two days after her birth. It was so hard to leave my baby! It just didn't seem fair. My mom and sister flew out to Hawaii to be with me. My mom was already scheduled to arrive, but when the birth went the way it did my sister insisted on flying in as well. I am so thankful that she came to be with me. 


I went into labor on Saturday night (at least I was pretty sure it was labor), but I didn't say anything to DH. That night I was up every hour on the hour going to the bathroom. The last hour was about 5Am and I remember thinking I was too tired to get up and I had another hour or two until I had to be up to get ready for church. As I rolled over there was a sharp horrible pain that forced me up to the bathroom for a less than pleasant number two. I think I was in there for an hour and I decided to take a bath. For two reasons, ofcourse if this was the day I wanted to shave and be clean and this was also my water labor attempt. After my bath I showered to wash my hair and then woke up DH with the news. I was hurting so fricken bad though. I then called my mom to tell her the news. Several minutes later I called my sister. Every attempt to call my dad failed as the pain was just too intense to talk. We decided that I needed to be rushed to the hospital. 

I was reading the neuro report and as sad as it made me to read it, it also opened my eyes as to how far my little Mia has come. His report: "...At the time of delivery, it appears that she was 'lifeless' and Apgars assigned were 1,6,6,6,6. It sounds as if she was resuscitated quite urgently and appropriately..." They kept checking her APGARS because they were hoping she would achieve  higher than a 6. Her 1 minute APGAR of 1 was for her heart rate and at 5 minutes she got 2 for her HR and 1's for everything else. 

I feel very frustrated at times wondering from a medical standpoint why this happened, tough I know I will never know. I also know that if we didn't get to the hospital when we did I could very well be living without Mia. When I feel sad that she can't walk or talk or do other things that 19 month old toddlers do I have to remember where she came from. I am so thankful for Mia and I know God has a plan. She continues to show progress each and everyday. She is going to be the 'one that surprises the doctors' I guarantee it!

 

1 comments:

Popcorn House said...

She is doing SO good. And she is just so beautiful.

I was worried that now that your DH is home you have left us blog buddies forever. LOL! I NEED TO READ YOUR BLOG!